Areas of Expertise
Patents, Trademarks, IP Litigation, Licensing & Franchising, Pharma & Biotech
Vaishali Mittal focusses on litigation and dispute resolution and brings with her over 18 years’ experience in litigation, prosecution, drafting and advisory work to some of the leading brands and organisations. Ms Mittal has been engaged as a lead in many firsts and some of the most ground-breaking IP matters including India’s first Anti-Anti-Suit injunction, India’s first final judgment on Standard Essential Patents interpretation of Section 8 of the Patents Act to the benefit of patent-holders; first compulsory licensing order for radio broadcasters under Copyright Act; India’s first judgment declaring colour-combination (green & yellow) a well-known trademark; landmark judgement on trans-border reputation and on aggravated damages being the highest ever quantum in a copyright, trademark and design infringement case, to name a few. She is better known as “leading light” in India for Standard Essential Patents, an epithet given by a leading publication.
Outside court, she showcases her knowledge and ingenuity of a writer in authoring various chapters and articles for renowned publications such as Getting the Deal Through, Asia IP and Managing Intellectual Property. She is also the creative mind behind, and co-author of, IPONOMICS, a coffee-table book that compiles legendary IP matters; and Origami, an in-house knowledge manual on best practices and procedures in IP practice in India for law firms and companies. She also conceptualised and created IP Thinker, a digital newspaper to celebrate World IP Day 2020.
- Amongst Top 10 Women in IP – ASSOCHAM IP Excellence Awards 2021
- WIPR Diversity Women in IP 2021
- Amongst ‘Top Individual Lawyers’ for ‘IP’ and ‘Pharma & Life Sciences’ -Forbes Legal Powerlist 2020
- Leading Individual 2020-21 – Legal 500 Asia Pacific Rankings
- World’s Leading Strategists – IAM 300 Global Leaders
- World’s Leading Patent Professionals IAM 1000 (2019-2021)
- Best Trademark Lawyer 2020 – Euromoney’s Women in Business Law
- Women in Business Law 2020 – Expert Guides
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member of AIPPI, APAA and INTA
- Standing Committee on ADR at AIPPI till December, 2021
- INTA ‘Famous and Well-known Marks Committee’ (2020-21)